Sunday, April 5, 2009

pet peeves

I have several pet peeves, and I want to draw attention to two of them here.

1. The Invisible "S" - Have you ever noticed how people add an "s" at the end of certain stores and restaurants? For example, Krogers or Outbacks.

Friend: "Hey, do you want to go to LongHorns tonight?"
Me: "LongHorns? Is that possessive or plural?
Friend: "Huh? What do you mean?"
Me: "There is no s on the end!"
Friend: "Yes there is!"
Me: Pull out my iPhone and Google it to prove them wrong.
Friend: "You're a jerk."

2. Touching my computer screen - I hate getting those greasy fingerprints on my screen! I want to see my documents and webpages clearly, not through the veil known as smudges. I'm always uncomfortable when someone is pointing toward something on my screen - I can feel my stress level rise with each inch as their finger moves toward the screen. Sometimes if feels as if it is in slow motion. If it is someone I know well, then I can say, "Hey, be careful not to touch my screen. It is a pet peeve of mine." But if I don't know the person, then I can only hope that they know proper computer screen etiquette.

Do you have any pet peeves like these?

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes.. The infamous "pet-peeve" I as well have several pet-peeves. Talking about computer etiquette, I do hate when people leave there desktop screen fluttered with junk, and shortcuts to other shortcuts that lead to broken links! Also when fixing the riddled "Windows machine" Oh and "I never look at dirty websites.. no not me... (virus..virus, must be my chrildren.. Going to the "Longhorn" scenario, being a singular location, in the Plural form, adding a "s" for proper grammatical structure does annoy me as wellwhe used in the wrong context! Next time switch the tenses around... Would that then be a objective or singular proper noun? Could you use the meaning of that word with the Latin singular form to construct "longhorni? Much like Alumni, or Alumnus (not to be sexist)Unless they wish to go to "ALL" the longhorn(s) in the country at one time..... But that would be to vague! hope all is well...Rouge_Ap

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Longhorn yesterday and the waitress said "Welcome. Is this your first visit to Longhorns?" Man we've got a problems.

    ReplyDelete